Wednesday, August 13, 2008

List of Foods For a Diabetic to Eat

Firstly I would like to state that I am diabetic and I find it very difficult to create a diabetic diet plan and find foods that are good for me to eat. However after I bought a couple of eBooks and did a lot of research I found the information I was looking for and now I am going to share it with you.

The recommended daily calories for someone with diabetes is usually around 1200-1800 calories and consists of 50%-60% carbohydrates 12%-20% protein and not more than 30% fats. Now that is just a basic outline of what your daily intake should be I will go in to more detail below.

Some must haves for people with diabetes are Alpha-lipoic acid this is like a vitamin and it helps enhance the glucose uptake and improves diabetes nerves damage.

Secondly we have Omega 3 which helps to protect against the hardening of arteries.

The last one I would like to recommend is artificial sweeteners obviously everyone who suffers from diabetes knows that sugar should be kept to a low level in your diabetic diet plan so you can use alternatives such as aspartame and saccharin.

Foods that diabetics should avoid are high fat foods this is a big no no as well as foods with a lot of sodium. As well as this you should restrict the amount of alcohol you intake if you can just do not drink alcohol at all as this can cause health problems like liver damage and increase the risk of heart disease.

Foods for diabetics:

Carbohydrates: Bran, oats, porridge
Fruit: apple, citrus, berries, peaches, pears, plum, and rhubarb.
Vegetables - cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, onions, lettuce, olives, peas, pepper spinach, broccoli and tomatoes.

Proteins: Vegetables - beans, lentils, millet, soybeans
Free range chicken and turkey (skinless)
Lean cut of meats - pork, veal, beef and lamb.
Free-ranged chicken eggs.

Fat: Vegetables oils - sesame, soybean, sunflower, Avocados,
Poultry: mackerel, tuna, herrings and salmon.
Unsaturated margarine

Ensuring you know what you should and should not eat if you suffer from diabetes is essential in keeping diabetes under control and having a good diabetic diet plan is part of this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a thrilling post! I am really thankful to you for sharing this List of Foods For a Diabetic to Eat. My grandfather is also suffering from sugar, he takes Carbohydrates: but not others, I would love to recommend him your blog. Well, I am also looking for diabetes business opportunity through which I would be able to serve the diabetes patients.

 
breast-cancer diabetes-informa... weight-losse lung-mesotheliom... eating-disorders medical-billing php-and-mysql skin-cancer medical-health astronomy-guide cancer-diseases health insurance seo-news-2008 forex3003 lawyer-lookingforalawyer earnmoneyonline-earn forexautotrading-forex forex-trade forextrading forex-trading-forex-trading-08 searchingforcancertreatment adsense jiankang8008 beauty-girl forex5005